Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Another Day to Remember - Tuesday, 1/20/09

I'm not sure if this was a rhetorical question or not, but I was thinking of my ancestors...

- my grandfather, an entrepreneur (1900-1970) who raised 7 children with only a 4th grade education (state of AL)
- my grandmother, a strong african american woman (1912-2006) who was only able to go to the 6th grade (AL), but always encouraged her children and grandchildren to do their very best
- those ancestors that were slain due to the Trans-Atlantic slave trade (from Guinea Bissau and other areas), due to manifest destiny and trail of tears and due to lynchings in AL (up to a 1995 police brutality lynching)

Throughout the day, I've flipped channels mainly focusing on BET, TV One and ABC. While ABC is the more "polished" news outlet, only on BET & TV One can we be reminded of the true deeper meaning of all this for African Americans. How amazing it is to see a Black First Family standing on the very mall layed-out by Benjamin Banneker...an area, too, where slaves were sold as chattel. I'm still in disbelief!



Sonjanita L. Moore, NBCT, M.A., M.Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment